Saturday, February 5, 2011

Interview with Rapper Sauce Kid


E-mail
Written by Yetunde Taiwo   














His name is Sauce Kid, self proclaimed Naija's Ambassador of Rap Music. He is part Naija, part hood and isn’t afraid to show it. With hits like Gbasibe and Omoge Wa Jo (which is receiving massive airplay on MTV Africa, STV, AIT to name a few) Sauce Kid is bringing a new twist to the Naija Rap Game. In this exclusive interview with NE’s Yetunde Taiwo, Sauce Kid talks about His Music, working with Mike Okri, his way of life and being featured on the soundtrack of 30 days the movie.
NE: Hello there Sauce Kid. it's  a pleasure to meet you ...online at least.

Sauce Kid: Hey same ere Yetunde....same ere

NE: So before we get into details we have to get the top 10 out of the way. You think you can handle that? What's your favorite time of day?

Sauce Kid: favorite time of the day............the time I get new money......... y'am saying......nah really tho.... in the morning......soon as I wake up, coz it brings new opportunities.

NE: What's your favorite beverage? And I do mean non-alcoholic.

Sauce Kid: favorite beverage.......definitely alcoholic.....henny.......na mean!! no chaser....str8 out da bottle! I f*$@ with MoeT too !

NE: What's your favorite food?

Sauce Kid: pounded yam and edi kaikon! whatz good?! u already know what it is.....if u aint had that then u aint even knowing! word To God! for real tho I aint playin.....

NE: What's your favorite cereal?

Sauce Kid: favorite cereal.......that would have to be honey bunches of oats...........I like it like we ate it in naija! with hot water.........

NE: What's your favorite CD of all time?

Sauce Kid: thinkin.........um.......eminem's first lp.... think it was called the slim shady LP!

NE: What's your favorite movie of all time?

Sauce Kid: all ma favorites huh.......lets c....maybe um........um...damn.....I’ll go with osuofia in london....I f%$@ with that! i'm dat type cat...I be on some real naija ish ya diiiiiiiiiig?!

NE: Who's your favorite artist?

Sauce Kid: got a few. 4 actually. Jadakiss, Eminem, Fabolous, Sauce kid and Ghetto P! pay attention to the order!

NE: What's your favorite type of music?

Sauce Kid: rap music!

NE: What's your favorite soccer team?

Sauce Kid: i don't  like soccer! I’m good at it tho.... but nah... sorry.....no favrite soccer team!

NE: and finally what's your favorite quote you live by?

Sauce Kid: my favorite quote.. got a few........but the main one will have to be......."u know what da F*** it is......its Naija"......that’s the slogan

NE: ehmmm Sauce what's the full quote? I mean are there any famous quotes you live by?

Sauce Kid: nah I make my own quotes...everything I say is a quote........im makin history babie!

NE: and what is that quote that you live by?

Sauce Kid: if u don’t like me,,,............u dont like yourself! its a lot of em
Sauce Kid


NE: So now that we got that done, let's get down to business. You were born in Nigeria correct?

Sauce Kid: yeah born in naija...ikeja!

NE: So when did you come to America?

Sauce Kid: came out ere for the first tyme in 97......

NE: Your style of music seems to be greatly influenced by the African American culture why does it seem so entrenched in your lyrics?

Sauce Kid: I mean jus like my album tells... i'm da "PRODUCT OF MY ENVIRONMENT".. I blend to whatever situations.......I got struggles over ere, struggles in naija so when I bring it together.......u gotta love it and feel it.. thats why the streets love me! by the way the album "product of my environment" comes out in September...... keep an eye out for www.qbeatsentertainment.com very soon!
tell u the truth......

NE: How challenging is it for you to have a western edge on your music and still try to stay grounded in the "African ness" of you!

Sauce Kid: It comes natural.......coz I ma swagger different.......I never been a follower so whatever I do, I make sure I make it hip......peeps feel it they jock it, copy it.....and hey I’m ere now! plus I got street cred in naija so its nuffin!

NE: What would you say is the overall message of your album? What lesson or product would you say you are putting out for the public?
 
Sauce Kid: I’m puttin out beautiful music......rap music and at the same tym, feel-good music......its bascially comparing struggles, here and back home in naija, we dancin on the album, we bumping our heads..and then I make u think... i make u listen too..... u know its a complete album

NE: When did you realize you had a voice to let out? When did you get turned on by rap, by hip hop?

Sauce Kid: I decided to make it happen in 05......by summertime we started puttin together dough and by November we had buncha songs done, we shot the video for "Omoge Wa jo" with Mike Okri... that was a blessing right there and now......it's beginning to pay off..........but........i wrote lil corny raps since junior high school and stuff tho.. nothin major! yeah u know......wack raps dont count.lol


sauce kid


NE: Your video with Mike Okri has gotten a lot of air play. How did this collaboration get to happen?

Sauce Kid: it was a blessing..shouts out to my man Mike Okri.....um we did that song in UB Studios in Hollywood California......one ma mans....from back then "Gang" he knew Mike on a personal level so I got the beat, scribbled some verses, and Gang said he could hear Mike on the hook.....after that... it was Butter and now u have a hit!

NE: What is your favorite track on your CD and what do you remember you were doing when you wrote the lyrics to that track?

Sauce Kid: My favorite track is called "F#@& the World".........that song is deep....i was havin a bad day......stuff jus wuthnt goin right for me and i went home put on some sad beat........started writing bout everything that was pissin me off, from Bush to Iraq, to my family issues and i ran back to the studio.......got witth Gang we put it down... then we did a beat for it....Ma man Capital S produced that beat!....shouts out to Capital S!

NE: Your style seems heavily influenced by the American Southern lingo. I noticed in your, video you switch from a Nigerian accent to what a lot of Nigerians will call "Ghetto sounding" Why is this so?

Sauce Kid: I mean....I jus blend.....the game follow me around... so whatever I do they try pinpoint and stuff. in reality I’m a chill cat, i act a fool.... talk however I feel at the tym, naija flow, yankee slangs, pidgin english......whatever i'm feelin. I  even got yankee cats tryn sound like me, coz i'm jus soooo damn fly.. and yes i am full of myself!! i got a reason! Lol

NE: As a Nigerian man raised with Yoruba music, Igbo music and folk type music in NIGERIA. Why does your presentation represent the American culture more that it does the African, Nigerian Culture?

Sauce Kid: for a lil bit of my youth and all my teenage years......I was ere.....so the whole part of my life where I was being influenced by culture, I was out ere........so thats why I got swagger like a regular hood nigga.......on the flipside.. i been in naija, thru goodtimes bad times.......all that.....i can relate...ya diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig?

NE: Now every artist has a personal style. With Tattoos, Bandanas and a T-shirts proudly representing Nigeria, how would you describe your style?

Sauce Kid: !that jus sounded like me u were describing.......lol
I mean my style brand nu...........I like to call it "Da Nu Swagga!".........new swagga every 30 seconds.....u try jock ma swagga, 30 seconds later I come with brand nu swagga so u pretty much gotta try to keep up every 30 seconds!...ya diiiiig? my style is pretty much chilll tho... real talk!

NE: Do you coin your self a Nigerian, Nigerian American or African American?

Sauce Kid: omo i be naija boy all day.......u know what da F*** it is....its naija! i got naija boy tattoed on the arm.....can't be nothin else! i'm beautiful like dis.... ya feel me.......ma swagga different...dont even trip.

NE: Now I have to ask this cause I know our readers want to know. Why the rough Thuggish ways? This heaviness is not parallel to "Naija ness". Some people will see you, read about you and wonder if you really are representing Nigeria. What would you say to them?

Sauce Kid: I’d say to them.......leave me alone coz I’m in the league of my own..........i'm nothin like the rest of em......I know what I’m bout... and I know what ima bring to the rap game as a whole.....from africa to america! I dont need no one to judge me.......i judge myself.. and i think i look good... so what the hell...haha! that was cute....lol

NE: How would you say Nigeria, being raised there for a little while and the Lifestyle has influenced your music, and your sense of appreciation for music?

Sauce Kid: I’d say I’m proud to be Nigerian...the lifestyle definitely speaks in my music.......some say" Sauce dey do akata pass akata" but when u watch one of my shows and see how I connect with the danfo drivers, the thugs, the conductors, the rassest of all in naija..........and still see how i blend in with the people with swagger and style, u'd know that, I’m really a gift! Word To God!

NE: Most artist grow in their music as they grow in the industry. Where do you see your style growing to, in relation to your heritage?

Sauce Kid: I c it comin back home........as far as me doin things more for the african audience.......with a lil yankee twist.....coz I want the african market to be accepted erre...therefore i'ma meet em halfway at both ends

NE: So what is your name? and how can the ladies say what’s sup and don't tell us the name is sauce.
Sauce Kid: ma name.......haha.. i usually got a nasty answer for that question........ but na my real name is ola. Far as the girls.........u know I’m single! so whatz up wit it? but the name that pays is Sauce kid! ya diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig!

NE: So what should we look forward to with Ola... with Sauce Kid?

Sauce Kid: niways yeah Ola is on pause.........sauce kid doin things , makin moves did a joint for a scene in the movie "30 days" it premiered in ATL las Weekend......got the album comin out in  september.....ima be promoting in naija from september till february next year grindin hard...........thats what it is!
www.qbeatsentertainment.com comin soong!

NE: Ok finally I have to ask. Do you see yourself living in Nigeria anytime soon. Why or why not?

Sauce Kid: u know what ........Ma man T Billions asked me that a few days ago......I aint got an answer yet, but I do know that the heat out there aint the business........I got a tan out there from the last tyme......so i dont know........
i'm whereever the cheese at...y'am sayin.........

NE: Well Ola. Thanks for your time it's been a pleasure chatting with you.

Sauce Kid: yeah ma...gotta stay dipped in Sauce........Sauce bring that spice...nu flava in the rap game.......if y'all forget everything i sed dont forget this NU SWAGGA EVERY 30 SCEONDS" u know what da F*** it is......its Naija! we good!

NE: We certainly wish you all the best in your career. Stay saucy ay!

No comments:

Post a Comment